The Athletic Department of St. Mary’s promotes the highest ideals of
sportsmanship and respect for the rights of others, and enlists the
students in extra-curricular activities for the advancement of school
spirit, loyalty, and fair play. Keeping in line with the school’s
philosophy, the Athletic Department is committed to forming a
Christian community that nurtures and challenges each young woman
to attain her full potential. All students who meet the academic and disciplinary requirements are eligible to try out for any sport team offered at St. Mary’s Academy.
St. Mary’s Academy is a member of the Camino Del Rey League and
participates in interscholastic competition in Cross Country,
Volleyball, Basketball, Soccer, Softball, Track & Field, and
Cheerleading. Tryouts are held at the beginning of each season: Cross
Country and Volleyball in August, Basketball and Soccer in
October, Softball and Track & Field in January, and Cheerleading
in April and July for incoming freshmen.
To be eligible to participate on any sports team at St. Mary’s Academy
the student must:
- Have all required paperwork on file with the Athletic Director.
- All students are eligible to try out for any team as long as the
student meets all of the requirements of the school and CIF. A
student must maintain a 2.0 GPA. This is in compliance with
Rule 205 of the CIF-SS Bluebook. Failure to achieve a 2.0 will
cause a student to be placed on probation. Two successive
grading periods below a 2.0 GPA will result in academic
ineligibility. The Athletic Department determines its eligibility
on the day that grades are to be mailed to parents.
- May not be on disciplinary or academic probation.
- Be under 19 years of age
- Students must maintain all of the above conditions to play on the team.
- If at any time during the season a student fails to meet all of the above
requirements, she loses her eligibility and will no longer be able to
participate until she has met all requirements.
All students are eligible to try out for any school sponsored team if she meets all of the eligibility requirements of the school and CIF. Specifically students must:
- have at least a 2.0 GPA with no F’s;
- not be on disciplinary or academic probation. (Students must have a written clearance signed by the Principal, Vice Principal or the Dean of Students verifying eligibility.)
- be under 19 years of age;
- have an annual physical exam prior to trying out for a sport certifying that she is physically fit to participate in athletic activities.
Students must maintain the conditions listed to play on a team. If at any point during the season of sport a student fails to meet any of the above requirements, she loses her eligibility and will not participate until she has regained eligibility to play.
REQUIRED ATHLETICS PAPERWORK/FEE
Prior to a student’s participation in any sport, the following paperwork
- PHYSICAL – Prior to beginning of the season, a student must
have a physical form signed by a licensed physician on file with
the Athletic Director. A physical is valid for one calendar year
from the date of the physical. Any athlete WILL NOT be allowed
to play without this form being on file.
- CIF CODE OF ETHICS – An athlete WILL NOT be allowed to
play without a Code of Ethics form signed by both the athlete and parent(s) on file with the Athletic Director. This form is valid for the entire school year.
- SPORTS FEES – Sports fees will be billed to the student’s account
prior to the completion of the season. In the event that a student
quits the team, the fee will still be required. Additional fees may be
required for each sport to cover the cost of spirit pack items and