The Girl's Athletic Association of Saint Mary´s Academy promotes the highest ideals of sportsmanship and respect for the rights of others, and enlists the students in extra-curricular activities to develop school spirit, loyalty and fair play. Any student participating as a SMA athletic team as a player or a spectator is a member of the GAA. Active membership is earned by attending and participating in GAA functions.
To earn a varsity letter the following must be met:
- participate on a varsity team;
- play in at least 80% of all varsity games;
- participate in 90% of all practices;
- show sportsmanship and team spirit;
- have the recommendation of the coach for that sport.
All students are eligible to try out for any school sponsored team if she meets all of the eligibility requirements of the school and CIF. Specifically students must:
- have at least a 2.0 GPA with no F’s;
- not be on disciplinary or academic probation. (Students must have a written clearance signed by the Principal, Associate Principal or the Facilitator of Discipline verifying eligibility.)
- be under 19 years of age;
- have an annual physical exam prior to trying out for a sport certifying that she is physically fit to participate in athletic activities.
Students must maintain the conditions listed to play on a team. If at any point during the season of sport a student fails to meet any of the above requirements, she loses her eligibility and will not participate until she has regained eligibility to play.Varsity, Junior Varsity Competition
Saint Mary’s participates in interscholastic competition in volleyball, basketball, softball, track, soccer, tennis, and cross-country. Tryouts are held at the beginning of each season--volleyball, cross-country and tennis in August; soccer and basketball in November; track, softball in February.